Sep 21st, 2012
LAKE WALES – Even Cinderella needed a little help from her fairy godmother to make sure she had an appropriate dress for the dance.
With a new school year under way, sponsors of the Lake Wales High School “Prom Closet” are looking for some fairy godmothers to donate gently used formal wear and fancy dresses to help stock the school’s supply of dresses for homecoming, prom and other special occasions.
“This program helps so many deserving young women,” said Andrea Baker, who organizes the effort. When she’s not sorting through organza, tulle and satin, Baker has a “day job” as one of the deans at Edward W. Bok Academy.
“Some of our girls are talented with deconstructing and re-imagining the donated dresses,” Baker said. “You may be surprised by the styles that are back in fashion that might seem old or outdated.”
Baker offered these suggestions for dresses that can be donated to the LWHS Prom Closet:
- Your daughter left home/went to college, and you want to free up closet space
- Old bridesmaid dresses
- Former Easter dresses and Sunday best
- If your weight has changed (up or down), and now you own party clothes that you can’t wear
- That dress in the back of your closet that you intend to wear (but you know you never will)
- Ask neighbors and friends to donate too
For more information, email Baker at email@example.com or drop off donations at Bok Academy, Lake Wales High School or the Lake Wales Charter Schools central office.